In this tutorial you will learn the step by step process you can apply to add a free Google powered search engine to your WordPress website. Many website builders either don’t feature a search engine at all or only offer a very simple one at best.
Recently, Google Adsense released an update urging it’s publishers to include a Google powered search engine to their website so as to increase revenue.
We are going to use Google’s custom search, which will look like the search top-right of this page to create a Google powered search engine for your website.
It’s great but you have to keep in mind that it will carry ads, maybe even for competing products, which in a way is a good thing.
And here is the step by step process to add a Google powered search engine to your website or blog:
- Firs Go to this website and click “Customize Your Own Search Engine”. Take a look at the picture below for better understanding and clarification. This is just the first step to add a custom search engine to your WordPress website.
2. Fill out the form carefully and choose the options that are right for you.
Please note: if you want your entire website to be searchable you have to enter your URL in this format: www.mysite.com/*
3. The third step is more like the design aspect of the whole process. Now, on the next page you can choose the layout of your search engine. You will immediately see a preview.
4. You’re almost done with the whole process of adding a the search engine to your website Now just Copy (CTRL + C) the code.
5. Add an HTML widget to your website. Our example shows Weebly’s website builder.
My recommendation for pros:
Add the search code to your template so that your search box will be available on every single page immediately. If you are not a HTML junkie you can simply add an extra page to your navigation bar named “Search” and put the search box only on this page.
In case you are a Jimdo user, you also can add the search box into the sidebar. The sidebar is the same on all pages and sub-pages.
You can also show the search results in a separate browser window or tab using this setting.
6. Now PASTE the code into the HTML widget.
7. Now everything is ready and good to go!
In case you have any questions, you can as well leave a comment! Below.