Yes! It sounds anomalous and almost impossible right? But as the saying goes “If you are not informed then you are deformed”. Learn how to control a computer system without a mouse.
Well it’s exceedingly easy to control or carry out the basic functions on your PC/COMPUTER without the use of a mouse or joystick per say.
Many are so reliant and totally dependent on a mouse to control a PC that its absence on a PC/COMPUTER renders them unable to make use of that particular PC.
This article was inspired by a funny but rather serious event that occurred to me when I was invigilating a JAMB UTME examination at a registered JAMB CBT CENTER; it got to a point during the examination when a young beautiful lady stood up and started crying; reason being that her mouse is no longer working, I must say, I almost burst into laughter.
But imagine yourself in that same situation and you have just one or let’s say two invigilators/technicians in an examination hall comprising of over 500 students and unluckily for you they are both at the extreme of the hall with you being at the very center of the examination hall, now calculate the time it will take you to capture their attention and the time it will take them to come to your aid.
Have you done that? If so now subtract it from the apportioned 45 minutes you are to use in writing that computer based examination knowing accurately well that your time cannot be paused. How many minutes or should I say seconds do you have left? Approximately nothing I guess.
So don’t you think it’s time to learn how to comfortably control a PC/COMPUTER without the use of a mouse at least to execute some basic systematic functions first or to avoid an embarrassing and unfortunate situation like the one in my story above.
- To move your cursor to any point or location on the screen, make use of the TABS key on the keyboard.
- To select an option, make use of the SPACEBAR or ENTER key on your keyboard.
- For more options key (that is what your left click on the mouse does) locate the OPTION KEY before your CTRL key on the keyboard
- To highlight, make use of your SHIFT key together with a DIRECTION key.
- To switch between windows; make use of ALT + TABS or ALT + ESC key on your keyboard.
- To go straight to desktop, make use of your START + letter D key on your keyboard.
- To go to the previous page; make use of CTRL + PAGEUP key on your keyboard
- To go to the next page; make use of your CTRL + PAGEDOWN key on your keyboard.
- To open your toolbar/menu bar if it is not already open, just press the ALT key on your keyboard.
- Peradventure your start button is not responding; you can access it with CTRL + ESC key on your keyboard.
- For full screen mode or view; make use of the function key “F11” and to leave the full screen mode; make use of your ESC key on your keyboard.
- To cancel or abort the current operation on your screen; make use of the ESC key on your keyboard.
- To highlight everything on a window; make use of the CTRL key on your keyboard.
- When on a browser, to switch between tabs; make use of the TABS key on your keyboard.
- To access the task manager; make use of the CTRL + ALT + DELETE key on your keyboard.
- When on a browser, to open a new tab; make use of the CTRL + TABS key on your keyboard.
As the saying goes; “sharing is caring in every community”, so don’t forget to hit the share buttons and let your friends be informed too. Also please try to drop a comment in the process. Always keep coming back for more creative ideas like this here on expomaster at expomaster.com.ng