What is NIN ?
The National Identification Number ( NIN ) consists of 11 non- intelligible numbers erratically chosen and consigned to an individual after the completion of enrollment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).
As soon as a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature.
In the case of the demise of an individual, his/her NIN is retired once a death certificate is presented to the Commission and the individual’s death is established.
The NIN is used to tie all records about an individual in the database and is also used to establish or verify his/her identity.
All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from age zero (birth) and above are eligible to enroll for their NINs.
Why You Need Your NIN?
You have a phone number so people can contact you. Get your National Identification Number so people can IDENTIFY you.
The National Identification Number is the unique number which identifies you for life and is issued to you by National Identification Management Commission (NIMC) after your enrollment.
It is used to match you with your bio-metric data and other details in the National Identity Database during verification and authentication.
NIN is set to be used for all transactions in Nigeria requiring identity verification so you will be using your NIN for the following
- Obtaining your National e-ID card
- Travel (international passport application & acquisition)
- Opening personal bank accounts
- Getting your driver’s license
- Obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- Participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- Payment of your taxes
- Transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- Access to welfare and other relevant services from the Nigerian Government
- Transactions with social security implications
- Land transactions subject to the Land Use Act
- And any other transactions NIMC may so prescribe and list in the Federal Government Gazette
NIMC is engaged in harmonization and integration of data with various agencies across Nigeria who deals with the various services above to ensure smooth coordination of activities.
How do I Enroll for NIN?
NIN Enrollment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data.
It is very important that you apply on the NIMC Pre Enrolment Portal and follow the process as defined for applying for National Identification Number.
Please note that applicants in requirement of assistance with Enrollment Form have an option to visit the Enrollment Centre where they will be assisted by a Support Officer in correctly filling the Enrollment Form with the required information.
Walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
STAGES INVOLVED IN REGISTERING NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (NIN)
Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrollment online form by visiting Pre Enrollment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrollment Slip
Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrollment Center you will be directed to a counter where our Enrollment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, Enrollment officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten finger prints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as an evidence of the transaction.
- Applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents / guardians can do the form filling for them.
- Minor applicants should only bring original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parent / Guardian.
- The normal time frame for issuance of National Identification Number Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the bio-metric details are captured at enrollment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to validation of details at NIMC. VFS has no role to play to expedite for such cases.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrollment
To save you time and stress involved in getting your NIN registration done please contact us
E-Mail: [email protected]
NIN LINKING CODES FOR MTN, GLO, AIRTEL & 9MOBILE
HOW TO CHECK
Dial *346#, then on the options displayed, Select “NIN Retrieval” by typing 1 (Follow other steps required to check your National Identification Number). It cost 20 Naira on your mobile phone network.
HOW TO LINK NIN ON MTN
- Dail the USSD code *785#
- Visit https://mtnonline.com/nin
- Using the myMTNApp which can be downloaded on Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Enter the required details in the NIN Linking form such as your name, phone number, NIN and email address.
- Submit the form once you’re through inputting the details. MTN will give you a feedback.
HOW TO LINK NIN ON AIRTEL
- Dial *121*1# on your phone dialer.
- Enter 1 on the dial pad for NIN Capture and Send.
- Input your 11-digit NIN and send.
Wait for a feedback for the message about your submission.
HOW TO LINK NIN ON GLO
- SMS: Send an SMS containing UPDATENIN followed by NIN number, then first name with last name and send to 109 on the phone number you’re trying to link. (e.g UPDATENIN 12341234123 Expo Master)
- You can as well do it on Glo website at www.gloworld.com/ng/nin. Fill the form and submit.
HOW TO LINK NIN ON 9MOBILE
In a case where you aren’t able to link your NIN via the above means, then you should walk up to the nearest office of your service provider to do the process. Ensure you go along with your NIN and SIM pack.
And that’s it. It’s important to do the linking to your sim card so that you don’t risk getting disconnected from your network provider.
If you found this article helpful, please don’t forget to comment and hit the share buttons.